Friday, September 16, 2011

Week eleven- pizza

I walked into my Dad's house one evening and an incredible aroma threw it's arms around me. My step-mom was making pizza sauce, and I refused to leave that night without the recipe. Like a year and a half passed, and I finally made the sauce.

The sauce works best with roma tomatoes... I've made it a couple times lately and had to add a little tomato paste at the end when I used other-than-roma tomatoes.

Combine 2 lbs quartered tomatoes with 1/2 c. chopped onion (in this case CSA shallots), 2-3 cloves garlic, 1 t. salt, 1/2 t. crushed red pepper, 1/2 t. sugar. Mix it up with 1/4 c. olive oil and bake at 450 for 40 minutes.

This smells a-mazing! Add 1/4 c. fresh basil and puree using a stick blender or old-fashioned blender, and it smells even better.

Put it on a pizza and freeze the leftovers.


We use a 450 degree oven, Trader Joe's pizza crust, and a pizza stone. In about 15 minutes, we have dinner!



No comments:

Post a Comment