Thursday, August 4, 2011

Week Six


Moving right along...

Week six brought us
A big green pepper
A big cuke
Romano beans
Onions
Beets

But wait, there are beautiful little tomatoes pictured, too... if those weren't part of the share, how did I get them, right?

This is how: during week 6 I spent a hot but really fun day volunteering at the farm.

I started by helping harvest zucchini, squash, and cukes. Then we were told to move to the dreaded bean plants! It was a really hot day, and several times during our hour or two in the bean rows I heard apologies and thanks from the farm staff for doing such an un-glamorous job on such a hot day. I will concede that picking beans is probably not the most fun one can have on a farm, but it was really neat to get to meet some of the people who grow and bring food to the markets. There was a very nice and cute farm dog named Copper, and we traveled from field to field by sitting in the back of a pick up with the tailgate down. I felt great afterward, after having worked kinda hard at something I've never done before. I have a few more work days scheduled in August, and I'm looking forward to getting back out there.

Oh, and those little tomatoes taste like sunshine. I don't care much for raw tomato, but I ate two of those little pearls on my way home from the farm. What I did with the rest of them will be a blog entry soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment