Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Week eight- freezing tomatoes

Between what we're getting from the share and what we're getting from our (former) backyard, we've had lots of tomatoes this summer. My mom also has lots of tomatoes, and a couple of weeks ago I was talking to her while she was prepping tomatoes for freezing. What a great idea!

I brought a large pot of water to boiling. While waiting for the pot to boil, I filled a large mixing bowl with ice and water. Once the water boiled, I spooned in whole tomatoes. After about 40 seconds, I removed the tomatoes and placed them in the ice bath, so they didn't get totally cooked.

After ice-bathing the tomatoes, I put them in my colander over the sink. I took a whole tomato, quartered it, slid the skin off (the quick-boil process helps loosen the skin so it's easily removable), then scooped out the gooshy innards.


Packed the quartered tomatoes up in a freezer bag, got as much air as possible out of the bag, and now they're way in the back of the freezer, waiting for soups and stews and pasta dishes this winter.

1 comment:

  1. I need a bigger freezer!!! i have way too much going on in there with frozen berries, rhubarb, and now (soon) tomatoes...or perhaps we should have a weekend of canning...

    ReplyDelete