Monday, August 15, 2011

Week seven- pesto

I was very excited to get the bunch of basil this week, because what better use of my new food processor than making pesto! My mom has a recipe she likes that uses walnuts instead of pine nuts which is great if you have a pine nut allergy like my friend Matt. Also it's great because walnuts are cheaper than pine nuts. Anyway, this pesto is wonderful, and everyone I know who's tried it cannot tell there's been a nut substitution.


I like to put pesto on grilled cheese or with eggs, but my favorite way is just tossed with some pasta. Little cherry tomatoes add great color.


Mix in the food processor till they are finely chopped:
1/2 c. walnuts
3 garlic cloves

Add in:
2 c. or 2 ounces basil leaves
and a pinch of salt

Then add:
1/2 c. parmesan (I used a parm-romano blend, because it's what I had)

While continuing to blend, drizzle in:
1/3 c. olive oil

That's it!



No comments:

Post a Comment